Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Heart Garland



After seeing and trying so many wonderful crafts, I decided to design one of my own.

Here is how I did it:
First I picked out 6 colors of fabric. I used about 1/4 of a yards for each. I ripped it into 1 1/4" strips and then cut into 6 1/2" pieces. (My garland is about 54" long.)



Next I took 4-ply (#72) jute and tied a knot at one end and then started tying on the fabric strips. The first few will be tied over double the jute to cover the end of the jute. Once I reached close to my desired length, I tied another knot, cut the jute and covered the end the same way.



Then I made my hearts. First I designed them on paper. Once I had my desired shapes, I traced them onto 1/4" wood and cut them out on my Dremel scroll saw. Sanded and applied decorative paper with mod podge. Then I cut around the edges with a blade and sanded the pieces again. Next I applied distressing ink, and then applied a coat of mod podge to seal. Once dry I drilled my holes and tied the hearts onto the garland.


Another picture a little closer up.

10 comments:

  1. You did a great job - it's adorable! I like the fabrics you used and the addition of the hearts is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is this! I have been wanting to make something like this for Valentine's Day! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am featuring this on my blog! you can check it out here http://lindseyscraftlist.blogspot.com/2010/01/valentines-garland.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute craft projects you have on your blog. Love the garland. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. I am thinking I could adapt this for some cool and original party garland for an upcoming 8th birthday party I'm planning for my third...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garland is very cute, a great that you use the saw. I am alway to chicken to try using my husbands tools, without supervision. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOSH! I absolutely love this project and YOUR blog! I'm a new follower :)
    Alex
    http://www.youhadmeatcraft.com/

    ReplyDelete