Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shamrock Pins

I have a thing for making Holiday Pins for my kids teachers. But I have never made a shamrock or anything for St. Patrick's Day (pin wise) for that matter until now. Yesterday I found a pattern for making the cutest little flowers over at the DIY Dish.

Now as soon as I saw the pattern another idea came to mind, and these little shamrocks were born. The tutorial on how to make the flower is on DIY Dish as well as the pattern download. While you're there don't forget to enter their Giveaway. They are giving away a Janome sewing machine and a Janome embroidery machine.

For the shamrock I did not stagger the petals (at least on the one with two layers) I also did not use felt as you can see. I like printed fabric, so in order to make it stiff enough I cut out two layers of fabric and placed the wrong sides together and then quickly zig-zagged around them so the edges would stay in tack. You will also need to trace one on and then flip the pattern and trace the next one on so that they will match up perfectly. For the stem I just rolled a piece of fabric and then zig-zagged down the middle. Then I tacked them together and sewed on a button or some beads for embellishment, glued the pin to the back and whala I was done.

Below are some close-ups of each one. I think they turned out so cute, as you can tell or I would not be sharing. And they are the perfect thing if you need a little " Lucky Green".

For a no sewing machine pin go here.


4 comments:

  1. these are just tooooooo cute! love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! And St. Pat's day is one of my faves so these are right up my alley! What a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little pins..what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute pins! I'm linking this up to my Friday Favorites - I hope that is ok!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete