Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Twisted Breadsticks

A friend of mine gave me this recipe a few years ago, and it was fast to become a favorite in our family. I must warn you, it is impossible to stop at just one!

Twisted Breadsticks

1 1/2 C. warm water
1 T. yeast
4 C. flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt

1 cube margarine
3/4 C. parmesan cheese (in the green plastic canister kind)
garlic salt
basil


Combine water and yeast (let yeast do it thing) then add sugar, salt and 2 C. flour. Mix together. Slowly add remaining 2 C. flour until dough clings to hook. Let double in bulk. (about 30 mins.)

Melt margarine, add parmesan cheese, 1 to 1 1/2 teas. garlic salt (to your liking, I use closer to 1 teas.) and sprinkle in a pinch of basil. (optional)

Coat bottom of baking sheet with margarine mixture.

Roll dough into rectangle between 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 1 inch strips, fold in half, stretch and twist together at the same time so that the breadstick is approx. as long as the width of your baking sheet. Continue until all dough is gone, placing breadsticks next to each other on the baking sheet (this will help them to rise together). Coat the top of breadsticks with margarine mixture and let rise another 30 mins. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until parmesan cheese starts to turn golden brown.

These are so yummy, my mouth is watering and I just had them last night. Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. These look so delish - I can't wait to make them! I am featuring your post on my blog tomorrow: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/03/twisted-breadsticks.html

    Feel free to grab a button saying you were featured: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/p/featured-sites.html

    Thanks for the great recipe - love your blog!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these tonight and they are now on an official recipe card and and in the file!! Loved...Loved...loved them! Thanks for the recipe I posted it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote this recipe down and getting ready to make them. I'll let your know how it turns out!

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party. Don't forget to stop by and enter my giveaway. I'll announce the winner at next week party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make these tonight and they are yummy! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound super yummy! I have a stick of butter in the fridge just waiting. :>) I linked on my weekly roundup - thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, just want to say, love this blog and i love finding little spare minutes in my day to get fun stuff done too. These were FABULOUS!! I have made them a couple times and they are a new favorite. I gave some to the neighbors and they came over with watering mouths asking for the recipe. Thanks a ton! :)

    ReplyDelete